16 June 2015

The first flush is over, the petals on the ground...

I think there is nothing sadder than dying roses...

The huge flush of flowers that our climbing rose offered us in Spring has finally faded and every time I look at it now I feel depressed.

So I got the extendable ladder out of the shed and the sharp "rose shears" out of the cantine and dead-headed it with brutality. I also cut back excess green growth to allow better air circulation during the hot humid days of summer. Our heavy summer weather encourages small green caterpillars which are capable of stripping entire branches of leaves overnight.

Not a single dead rose remains...the ground is sprinkled with fading petals...and the bush is free to breathe again...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment,
I appreciate each and every one.
All replies will be in the comment section so please check back to read them!